'We're working on WRC bid' says tourism chief

'We're working on WRC bid' says tourism chief

The World Rally Championship has a huge following.

By Jason Craig

Reporter:

By Jason Craig

Email:

sport@thechronicle.uk.com

A CONVINCING business case is needed to bring the World Rally Championship to Northern Ireland next year, according to the boss of Tourism NI.

Addressing last week's sitting of the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at Westminster, John McGrillen said work continued behind the scenes to draw up a watertight argument for funding.

His comments came in response to a question from North Antrim MP Ian Paisley, who asked what major events were in the pipeline post The 148th Open.

"It (Rally GB) certainly is a potential, as are a number of of other events we are talking to promoters about," Mr McGrillen said.

Meanwhile, tributes have been paid to three-time Donegal Rally winner Manus Kelly who was killed while competing in this year's event.

Mr Kelly, a father of five, sustained fatal injuries in an accident on 'Fanad Head' on the first of Sunday's six planned stages.

The event was immediately cancelled.

The cause of the accident is still unclear and a full investigation is underway.

For the best in rallying news, get your Chronicle every week.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500

BREAKING

'Giant Welcome' awaits at The Open

Lesley-Ann O’Donnell, Tourism NI, is pictured with hospitality industry representatives including Jonathan Wade, Grand Central Hotel Head Concierge and David Gillmore, Chef at James Street & Co.